Monday, December 18, 2023

Eastern Suburbs Media Blog: South Coogee Barber Shop review

Eastern Suburbs Media Blog





South Coogee Barber Shop review



South Coogee new traditional Barber Shop a cut ahead; Old school vibe and service with new school conveniences


Barber Shop True Tales from the Eastern Beaches of Sydney, Australia.


There are barbers, and then there are barbers. Traditionalists will get my old school point.


Meet your new local barber, Josh from South Coogee Barbers.

Josh has been in the hair game for well over a decade. It's a big part of his life and he's incorporated much of his lifestyle around it. He loves being his own boss - don't we all!


Being a pop culture and retro enthusiast myself, I was right onto the retro 50s to 70's posters and assorted collectibles that adorn the walls and shelves and you can start joining the dots. You've got posters from Johnny Cash, Bryle Creem, Chevy, Harley-Davidson, Colgate's, Coca-Cola, Slash, Frankenstein, Betty Page, showgirls/burlesque, old school legendary boxing greats, and there's even a vintage photo from Josh's grandfather on his motorcycle from circa 1940.


The Discovery


I was walking past having enjoying a morning swim and workout down the road and I noticed a few different visuals on the beach side of the road, not far from the local service station. So I stuck my head into a shop where something had changed - behold, a barber shop.


Truth be told, I'd being thinking of getting a haircut for a few months but didn't get around it, with work and the home office being so busy. As John Lennon famously said, "Life happens when your making plans".


Josh and I got talking and I told him I was pleasantly surprised to discover his barber shop and that I loved the old school and retro décor. It reminded me of my late grandfather's Newport Beach Barber Shop at Newport Beach in the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Lucky for me it was a quite-ish morning so I could enjoy a good conversation with Josh before we both decided it was a great morning for a haircut, even though it wasn't on my mind leading up to the discovery of the day!


Apart from being a stand out barber of the highest calibre, Josh is an excellent communicator and conversationalist. When your are frequently dealing with the general public, let alone the media entrepreneurs of Australia, it's a handy tool of the trade you might say. He listened well and followed through to a T to my request to have more layered on top, a bit shorter on the sides, and side-burns to go up a few inches, as well as the blade around the back of the neckline, and last but not least, a photo of the completed product. See below.


I'm going to give Josh as close to a perfect score as possible. You have to be careful and mindful on reviews for all sorts of things so one doesn't get accused of being bias or whatever, but as you can read and see, I am one very happy customer. South Coogee Barbers - a cut above and a bonus for retro and pop culture appreciators. Highly recommended.


Address: 175 Malabar Rd, South Coogee

Price: $50

Payment Types: Cash and Card

Open: Monday to Sunday